Planning to make the best of your health in 2019? Yoga is the wisest way to maintain figures on the weighing scale. Combining flexible postures with deep breathing and meditation, yoga is a wholesome art that keeps both body and mind healthy. Though an ancient art, having deep origins in age-old practices, Yoga is fast gaining worldwide popularity as the go-to fitness method that helps you remain healthy.
Contradictory to many beliefs that yoga does not match heavy intensity cardio training, it actually helps in achieving all fitness goals including weight loss, fat burning, body toning and cardio along with its meditative qualities as a major plus! If you are also one of those yoga freaks who like to maintain a Healthy and Fit body, here is a comprehensive list of top ten yoga exercises, just for you. Chalk out your daily yoga routine now.
(Note: If you are a beginner, it is good to start with simple and comfortable poses. Do not aim for perfection at the first shot! Listen to your body and try to accommodate poses according to your flexibility.)
1. Tree Pose (Vrikshasana): An amazing mix of standing balance and poise, the tree pose is a super-easy exercise that you must do for staying steady. You learn to breathe while balancing your body on one foot with focus and clarity.
How to do it: First, you must stand with your feet together. Next, lift your right foot and place it on your left thigh, on its inner side. Get together your hands in front of your chest and hold them lightly in prayer pose. Relax shoulders, engage abs, but don’t lean on standing leg. Hold and breathe for 10secs. Relax. Switch to the other leg.
2. Cobra pose (Bhujangasana): Another good exercise to kick-start your mornings, the Cobra pose helps in gaining improved blood circulation as well as getting rid of excessive fatigue and stress. It makes your spine, neck and abdomen flexible and well-toned.
How to do: Lie on your tummy and place hands below shoulders. Pushing yourself upwards on your hands, look towards the sky and feel your stomach stretching. Hold and breathe for 7-8 seconds, then go down.
3. Cat and Camel exercise (Bitilasana): This one is a great exercise to start warming up and drastically works on improving your spine flexibility, especially if you spend more time in a sitting job. It actually prepares you for a Healthy and Fit World, after all that is what everyone dreams of, right?
How to do: Assume a tabletop posture, on all fours, with hands and knees bearing weight like a crawling baby. Hands perpendicular to your shoulder and knees to hips, keep head in neutral. Inhale; lift up your chest slightly while allowing your belly to sink downwards. Look straight. Now, exhale, and return back to original the tabletop posture.
4. Bridge Pose (Setubandhasana): Energising, restorative and rejuvenating, Bridge pose has all the benefits. It stretches your front and strengthens your back, a very useful exercise for preventing back pain.
How to do: Lie on your back and bend your knees. Keep your arms relaxed by the side of your body. Now press on your feet firmly while lifting your buttocks off the mat. Arch your back up more by pressing on your hands as your chest also rises. Hold while breathing 8-10 times. Then, relax.
5. Child Pose (Balasana): When you are tired in the middle of your exercise session, take an ‘active’ break by doing this exercise. Sequence this restful pose amidst heavier exercises. Yoga exercises help to rejuvenate from stressful situations that we face every day, thus ensuring we live in a Healthy and Fit World.
How to do: Kneel down, big toes together; heels separated wider than your hips as you sit on your heels. Exhale as you take your torso back between your thighs. Relax your arms, palms up and stay in this pose for 30 seconds breathing easy. You can even hold longer till you want more breath! Relax and return to normal position.
6. Downward facing Dog asana: Very popular in regular yoga practitioners, this exercise keeps your abdominal organs healthy, gives good mobility to hips and spine as well as strengthens neck and shoulders.
How to do: Place palms and feet on the ground, lift your hips upwards and hold yourself up like a stretched dog. Stay calm and breathe a few times, then return to normal.
7. Standing forward bend: The best way to keep you healthy and fit is to follow a regular exercise routine which is the mainstay of a Healthy and Fit World. Do this forward bend stretching yoga and feel the difference in your spine and thighs flexibility.
How to do: Stand straight with feet together. Dive slowly into a forward bent posture, keeping your knees straight for a good hamstring stretch.
8. Boat Pose (Naukasana): This exercise gives you good core strength as well as stretches your torso making it more flexible and supple. Stick to it if you want a flat tummy.
How to do: Lie on your back, keep your arms by the side. Now breathe out and lift up both legs and head upwards. Try to hold it for a few seconds as you breathe. Then, relax.
9. Happy baby pose: Love the way babies spend time playing with their legs up in the air? Practise this exercise and you will surely love its deep effects like strengthening your abs, stretching your back as well as keeping vital organs healthy.
How to do: Lie on your back, bend your knees slightly and lift your legs up while keeping thighs above your tummy. Hold both feet with hands and spend some time feeling the stretch and breathing easy. Then, relax.
10. The Corpse pose (Shavasana): You will love ending an energetic exercise session with this relaxing pose. It is known to unnerve your entire body with calm down period, much required.
How to do: Actually, you don’t have to do anything, to do this one! Just lie on your back in a relaxed pose and let yourself loose for a few minutes. You might as well fall asleep if you are doing it really well!
These set of yoga exercises are a sure-shot way to hit the healthy track. Get going today!